One of the most common questions about Hardwar, of course, is "can I have the source code". In a perfect world, it would be available under an open source license, which would seem the best way to ensure that development of the game could continue. Sadly, it's not as simple as that, so for the record here is everything I know about the status of the Hardwar source code:
- The original owner of the copyright in the source code was The Software Refinery Ltd.
- This remained the case in 2002, when I ceased to be a Director of the company.
- The company was formally dissolved some time (a few years?) later.
- It is possible that the rights were transferred elsewhere during the intervening period (I wouldn't know, but I doubt it) but if not then by default the copyright passes to The Crown, and thus in theory it should be possible to purchase.
- I have a copy of the source. If the owner of the copyright asks me for it they will receive it, with any minor portions owned by other companies removed. I believe it would be unlawful for me to give it to anyone who is not the copyright holder.
- Copyright in the released game itself was owned by Gremlin Interactive, and probably passed to Infogrames when they purchased it. The specifics of that depend on the agreement between Gremlin and Infogrames (unknown to me), the contract between Gremlin and Software Refinery (I don't remember the wording).